Soaking the Colorado River.

Soaking the Colorado River.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Oh the urge and how it is hard to combat.

So thus far the year of 2009 has been one of injury. A few weeks ago I went with my father up skiing at Alta ski resort. Now my father is working on fine tuning his turns attempting to improve so that he may be able too join his sons in their exploits. Which is fantastic we love having him. On this particular day we where riding the lift to take our first run of the day. Chatting as we rode in the 15 or so degree weather I was giving him a few pointers on how to turn without using as much upper body. He retorted that today he was going to work on his turns and just take it nice and mellow.
We slide off the chair and gained velocity as we headed down the slope. I figured he will work on his turns I will just cruise and do my thing. At one point I looked back to see where he was at. Which happened to be a little ways back. At this same moment I noticed a kicker on the left side of the run as I was on the right. Picturing myself in the air and through the trees drew me to the left. Which in turn just happened to be the moment that my father decided that he was going to b-line it and go for speed. I have never in my life hit someone so hard while skiing. I didn't even see him till I was making contact. His ski's where left ear where I stood, his poles a little farther down the slope followed by his gloves and so one till the trail led to my very stunned looking father. My first reaction was for his back. it had been tight on him the last week or two. I though that I had just crippled my father.
I merely stood up just fine and brushed himself off. We collected his belongings and off we went. This is when I noticed that my shoulder felt a little tender. I thought it was just a flare up of another injury I had had with my shoulder when I was in high school. Yet the same remedy was not working to bring relief. Turns out I have separated my shoulder and still to this day nearly three weeks later it is still very tender. I can do anything I was able to before but I am trying to baby it as to not make it worse.
Injury #2: Just a normal day climbing not doing anything out of the ordinary. Bouldering in the Momentum climbing gym circuiting and doing 4x4's. I decided to try a problem that had been spitting me off but would go with a few tries. I pulled off the ground and slid my heal in for the first heal hook and pulled. Now it wasn't a loud "I just tore something pop!" Merely a "Oh Crap, this is going to be soar for a while!" pop.
So as it stands I can ski and climb and do any of those fun things that drive me in life. And God knows that I want to yet I am fighting the urge with great diligence.

3 comments:

tolman said...

i told you all skiing is no good it will leave you where you cant climb.
and marcuse my advice is stop taking so much time off year around from these things climb more in the summer it will help your body , its not good to up and climb when you have not done it for a few months thst is asking for a pop, keep your self well limbered , ill see you in a few wekks hope you feel better or we will be doing things we never did before like ...... mmm i dont know:)

Corey said...

dont get to old on us old man. we can't go play with out our marcus!!! you are still welcome to play with us anyway. now that you are injured, maybe i'll be able to keep up with ya.

Kristin said...

Best of luck with babying the tender spots. I know that is one of the hardest things to do!