Soaking the Colorado River.

Soaking the Colorado River.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

This place never fails to amaze.

So I have been in Moab for the last week just hanging out with some good friends and kicking it. Yesterday the whole group of us headed down river road almost to Gold Bar a little ways above the put in to Cataract canyon. We parked the car and headed up this little side canyon of which I had never been nor had I ever thought that it could contain anything unique. I should know by now that those are the places that will have the most in them.
It started out just as a normal hike up a creek bed and the canyon quickly boxed in at the end. If you didn't know it was there you would never find this little cattle trail cut into the cliff side that ran up to the rim of the canyon. It was only about 3 feet across but quit nice for hiking. At the top of the canyon wall was another large cliff as you can imagine. We followed the base of this cliff to find many peteroglyphs and the remains of some very large dwellings. One of the dwelling even had a old trash pile near it that you could sift through and find old pieces of maze cob and shards of flint among other random trash. We spent several hours just exploring this area searching up and down small draws and unknowingly rousing several young bucks which the dogs gleefully chased.
We all settled upon a good sized sandstone dome covered in the cobble stones from when the river flowed there. We all enjoyed the great amusement that comes with a properly rolled rock. Watching it as it trundled and bounced its way following the contours of the sandstone.
After hiking back we all rounded up some sort of food to eat. At this point my good friend Levi Kepsil allowed me to use him as my first test subject to ink. I did the outline of a Buddha with a mohawk on the inside of his wrist. All things considered with this being my first time inking human flesh It went really well. It took me a bit to figure out the depth so that the ink would take but once I did it went smooth. It looks much more professional then many tattoos I have seen done by people whom have been inking for a while. Pictures will be posted once I get it filled in a all finished. It is a great mental image getting a tattoo in a trailer park style trailer in Moab by someone who has never tattooed human flesh before while a move about LARPER"S( Live Action Roll Players) was playing.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

You're fun, Marcus