Soaking the Colorado River.

Soaking the Colorado River.

Friday, June 05, 2009


So with the time off i have had this past week it was time to play. So myself and good friend Carson Workman loaded up his van and headed to Jackson Hole to get wet in the whitewater. We spent most of the time running the Gros Ventre (Grow Vaunt)it was running higher then it had run since the 1990's from what I kept hearing around town. Just a fun rolly bouncy splashy fun section with big holes every few hundred feet.
We also met up with some of my very good friends that are working in Jackson for the summer to run the Hoback section. Now this would have been one boring section but we didn't know what we were getting into. We had 16 paddlers with us and many of them novices. Now the entire section is only 2 miles long averaged out we had 4 swimmers per mile. It certainly made it an interesting run. Good practice at gathering people and gear.
The next day we made one run at the Gros Ventre then headed over to run the Greys which was pumping huge! We met up with some locals that we met a half hour before. Got the shuttle squared away and geared up. Now they were all pulling their creek boats off their cars and looked over to see me slide my playboat out of the back of the van. With slightly preplexed looks on their faces they asked are you going to run it in that. To which I replied "yeah, left my creek boat in SLC." We put on and the section was good real good. We got down to Snaggletooth the IV+ V- every body knowing their lines. them going right, right, right. My line right, hard left, left. Not what happened. They stuck their lines for the most part. I on the other hand we right got flipped rolled and then hit the big wave in the middle that I most wanted to avoid. After a few seconds of side surfing and sliding back into the meat of the hole I was able to grab bit of green water and bounce out into the boulder garden. One of the locals named Snug looked at me and asked if I stayed on my line or if I got worked. I got worked.

4 comments:

William Cobb said...

i'm in jackson myself. staying for the summer and working as a bread truck driver. how long are you staying around?

Corey said...

excited to come hit the river up with you and the fam!

JH said...

Yum, gorgeous water there.

virginia bed and breakfast said...

This is a very beautiful and too attractive place and an ideal place for traveling as well.